Preventing fires is an important part of fire safety. In the United States, cooking is the main cause of home fires. Cigarettes are a big risk too - they are the leading cause of fire deaths. Here are some fire safety do's and don'ts.
- Don't leave the stove or oven unattended when they are on.
- Don't let children use kitchen appliances unsupervised.
- Don't smoke in bed.
- Do make sure your smoke alarms work.
- Do have fire extinguishers on every floor and in your kitchen.
- Do have an escape plan.
- Do make sure your electrical appliances and cords are in good condition.