Many U.S. households have guns, but they can cause harm if not handled properly. Here are some things you can do to keep yourself and your family safe:
- Teach children that they shouldn't touch guns and that if they see a gun, to leave it alone and tell an adult.
- If your children play at another home, talk to the parents about gun safety.
- Treat every gun as if it were loaded.
- Always store guns unloaded.
- Lock guns in a rack or safe, and hide the keys or combination.
- Store ammunition away from guns and keep it locked.
- Don't keep guns in your home if someone in your family has a mental illness, severe depression, or potential for violence.