You can't remove all the safety hazards from your life, but you can reduce them. You can avoid major hazards and prepare for emergencies by taking the following steps:
- Keep emergency phone numbers by your telephones
- Make a first aid kit for your home
- Make a family emergency plan
- Install and maintain smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors
- Keep guns unloaded and locked up. Lock up the ammunition separately.
- Follow the directions carefully when using tools or equipment
Young children are especially at risk. Supervision is the best way to keep them safe. Childproofing the house can also help.